By Bob Downing
Beacon Journal staff writer
Plans for a pipeline to carry natural-gas liquids from Ohio to the Gulf Coast are progressing.
Dubbed the Utica Marcellus Texas Pipeline Project, the pipeline is being developed by Kinder Morgan Energy Partners LP and its partner, MarkWest Utica EMG LLC. It is designed to serve the Utica and Marcellus shale regions in Ohio and surrounding states.
New details for the project, first announced in August, have emerged on a fact sheet posted on Kinder Morgan’s website.
The pipeline would run from a proposed natural-gas processing plant in Uhrichsville in southern Tuscarawas County to Mont Belvieu, Texas.
The new processing plant and pipeline are estimated to cost $1 billion, although no figures have been posted.
The project calls for converting 1,005 miles of Kinder Morgan’s 24-inch and 26-inch Tennessee Gas Pipeline system, switching it from carrying natural gas to transporting related liquids such as ethane, butane and propane.
The existing pipeline runs from Mercer County in western Pennsylvania to Natchitoches, La. A new line, stretching about 200 miles, would be built from Natchitoches to Mont Belvieu.
The project also includes about 160 miles of new laterals and interconnects in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi.
The pipeline would have an initial capacity of 150,000 barrels per day. That would be expanded to 400,000 barrels per day with the addition of pump stations.
The new pipeline is scheduled to be in full service by the second quarter of 2017.
Houston-based Kinder Morgan would own 75 percent of the liquids pipeline and Denver-based MarkWest Utica EMG would have the option to invest in the remaining 25 percent.
Kinder Morgan would operate the new pipeline.
That company also formed a partnership with Houston-based Targa Resources Partners LP to build a fractionation facility to separate liquids at Mont Belvieu.
In related news, TransCanada Corp.’s ANR Pipeline Co. is conducting an open sign-up season through July 28 for its proposed ANR East Pipeline across northern Ohio.
The pipeline would run from gas-processing facilities in Columbiana and Carroll counties in eastern Ohio to near Defiance in northwest Ohio, where it would connect with existing and proposed pipelines to the Gulf Coast and to Detroit, Ontario and the Midwest.
The pipeline, scheduled to be operational in the third quarter of 2017, would improve access to Utica gas to 35 Midwest utilities that generate electricity and either burn natural gas or could switch to natural gas in the future.